Monday, January 12, 2009

I Made It Monday

One of my New Years resolutions was to do more things with the kids. Last week I discovered the Pioneer Woman I came across a recipe for Dump Cake. It looked good and simple and something that would be easy to do with the kids.



The Ingredients:

A box of yellow cake mix, a can of crushed pineapple, a can of strawberry pie filling, a stick of butter and a stick of margarine, and my personal favorite Cool Whip. PW's recipe calls for cherry pie filling, but I do not like cherries, so I improvised.

First A dumped in the crushed pineapple (with the juice)


Then G dumped in the Strawberries (sorry, I do not know why the pic went in twice, and I can not get it out :( )


Then you mix it all up






Next, you dump on the dry cake mix. You can see how there are lots of clumps. Just break those up with a fork.





Next slice up the butter and margarine and spread them out over the top. (oopsie- PW only called for 1/2 stick, I just pretended this was a Paula Deen recipe) You may ask yourself, why BOTH butter and margarine? I consulted Mr Rocks on this since he is knowledgeable in baking and he says butter makes it flaky and margarine makes it soft, so using some of both gives it the right texture. For example, you use butter to make biscuits.







Bake it in the oven for 45 min to an hour and you get this! It smelled so yummy!





When it cools, put it in a bowl and add some Cool Whip!
We all liked this one. It was really, really sweet. I think it may have been better with a little less butter. I think that I may experiment with other flavors too. I also think that ice cream would taste great too.
However, this is not a part of my other New Years resolution to lose weight! I did find a weight watchers recipe that used LIGHT cherries and applesauce on top instead of butter and margarine. I just was not in the mood to worry about it.





5 comments:

Kara said...

Yummy!

Anonymous said...

Holy yum-O!! I want to make this sometime! My mouth is watering.

Stacey said...

That looks really good.

Michelle said...

I love the Pioneer Woman website! And your dump cake looks yummy!

~B. said...

Ooooh, I've made that, too. Easy and delicious. You're totally a bad influence. ;)