Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Salt Ornaments

We made salt ornaments over the weekend! I got the recipe from Family Fun. (my new favorite magazine!)

The recipe is 3 cups of Flour, 1 cup of salt, and 1 cup of water. Put in mixer until a ball forms. I had to add more water to get to a ball.

After all the mixing, the kids each picked a few things to make. They all picked a snowman. A wanted a stop sign, a cloud, and an ice cream cone. G picked a flower, a rainbow, a heart, and a cupcake. K wanted a hot dog, french fries and a burger (this was AFTER we ate dinner- I guess she had food on her mind!). It was really fun making all the shapes! I used a wooden skewer to poke a hole in the top of each one for the ribbon.

The next step after forming the shapes was to bake in the oven at 275 for 2 hours. Since we did this on Friday night, we let them cool over night.

Saturday morning we painted with acrylic paint. After the paint dried, I put on a coat of Mod Podge. You can see in the photo, some of them turned out pretty cute! My personal favorite is the french fries ( i painted that one myself!) I can not wait to get the Christmas stuff out and put the ribbon through and hang them. The kids want to make more so I think that we will do this one again!

I have a few things on my crafty list right now. I have to get Luke's baby scrapbook done. I also made A a photobook at Shutterfly. (I missed out on the free one though!) I want to make the girls a few Christmas bows, and I really like the ragamuffin garland- but not being a sewer, I don't have scraps sitting around, I must get to the craft store to get some! I may try a Christmas one, and if it is OK, then I may try one for the kids rooms.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

They look awesome! Good job!
I want a "BB" ornament!

Kara said...

Wow, I wish I was that crafty. Those ornaments are really cute. I think I want to take a shot at making those.