Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Proud

I am proud of myself.

I could make a thousand excuses as to why/ how I put on so much weight over the years. The most frustrating thing to me is that I am stuck in the same 5 pound range! I can be lazy and eat anything and be 5 pounds heavier, or I can watch every bite and work out and i only get down to the bottom of that 5 pound range.

After trying several things with limited success, my latest endeavor has been running.

Now, I must say that NEVER in my life have I run. I just do not like it at all. I get winded and I can't breath and it makes me feel even worse. But, lately I see friends losing weight and firming up- by running. I kept reading about it, and decided to give it a try.

I read up on the Couch to 5K, which seems to be very popular with a lot of people. So, I did a lot of Google research. After reading, the concept seemed great. The program is designed for a beginner, and meant to slowly ease you into running. The first week workout is a 5 minute brisk walk, followed by 8 intervals, 60 second run, followed by 90 second recovery (brisk walk). The biggest problem I had with that was the thought of HOW was I going to know when to switch from walk to run? It will not work for me to continually watch the timer on the treadmill!

Then I found (hear the ringing bells!) a podcast! All 9 weeks of the program are available for download.

Since I was out of excuses, I downloaded the podcast for week 1, and dusted off the treadmill.

The first day I did it, I made it about 20 minutes in. Then I promptly threw up. I have never felt so horrid in my life from working out. I was ready to give up, but then something happened, I became even more motivated to do it. I tried for a second time. I made it through 5 of the 8 intervals.

By this point I had convinced Mr Rocks to do it too. He of course finished the first time no problem, but he was sore the next day.

Then I felt bad again.

BUT- I realized I was doing this all wrong. I am putting too much pressure to run and get through the work out! It took me 10 years to get this fat and out of shape, It wasn't going to get better in a few workouts! So I decided to make my walk a little slower and run at a slower pace. Guess what? It worked!!! I finished the whole workout!! I was so proud of myself! I can not wait till the day I can run an entire 5k! I WILL do it!

I have decided that I have a plan. I am working gradually to get into shape. I am still on week one of the plan, and I probably will be for this whole week again. But it is OK. Next week we are getting a wii, so I think that I may try the fit work outs on my resting days from running. In another few weeks, I want to add in weights.

I also want to start to track my calories again. The eating aspect has been hard because I have felt soooo hungry since starting to run. I have really tried to limit portions, but trying is as far as I have gotten so far.

I am hoping that putting this out there, that I will become accountable and I will keep it up!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I am so proud of you!
Good job girl!

Kelly said...

That is great!!! I know you can do it!!

Karla said...

That is fantastic Tanya! Good for you!

Stacey said...

Great job. I know it is hard. But you can do it.