Monday, September 28, 2009

I Made it Monday

A friend of mine gave me this recipe. It is from Hungry Girl, so it is a lower calorie option. I made a few changes (I will let you know what I changed)

Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

Ingredients:


2 cups moist style yellow cake mix (1/2 of 18.25 ounce box)
1 large banana, mashed
1/3 cup Gerber bananas (or other baby food banana)
½ teaspoon baking powder


Frosting:¾ cup cool whip free(thawed)
¼ cup reduced fat peanut butter, room temp (optional 12 slices banana)


*I double the recipe (mostly so I could use the whole box of the cake mix). I also used extra creamy Cool Whip, because that is what I had. I checked the calories, the fat free version has 10 calories less per 2 tablespoons (personally, I would take the extra calories). I also used natural peanut butter, not low fat.


Preheat oven to 375

Combine peanut butter and cool whip stirring until mixed well. refrigerate.

In large bowl, combine cake mix with baking powder and 1 cup water. Mix well.
Add pureed bananas and stir thoroughly. Mix in mashed banana.

12 cup muffin tin with lined cups or sprayed. Bake in oven for 20 minutes. Test with a toothpick.

Once cooled COMPLETELY, spread frosting. Top with a slice of banana. Refrigerate until ready to serve

*I don't know why the recipe says to refrigerate the frosting. I did and it was too hard to frost the cupcakes! So I left it out for a bit and I added more Cool Whip.

I also didn't top with the banana, because I didn't have lemon juice.


This is what they looked like:
If you made these according to the original recipe 1 cupcake is 143 calories.

These are really, really good! The peanut butter and banana combo reminds me of being a kid. I ate peanut butter on nanas all the time.

Little Girl also helped me make these, you can check out a pic on my pic blog (once i get it updated of course!)

No comments: